Upgrading to a new version of EndNote
Note: Before upgrading you will need to check that your computer is compatible with the newer version of EndNote.
To upgrade an existing version of EndNote to a new version requires the following steps:
- Firstly, back up your existing EndNote library files (e.g. .enl, .data folders) and any customized content files (e.g. output styles, connection files, and import filters) on a USB or external hard drive
- Close all open programs on your computer, and then
- Uninstall the older version of EndNote from your computer. To uninstall:
- From the control panel, select "Programs and Features" or "Programs" (Windows Vista, 7 or 8.1) "Add/Remove Programs" (Windows XP) from the Windows Control Panel.
- When the older version(s) has been uninstalled, go to the Downloading EndNote page and click on the direct download link to access and install the new version of EndNote.