Creating an EndNote Library
Adding references manually
Using Library Search
Direct export from databases
Importing with a filter
Exporting from Google Scholar
Finding Full text
Checking for duplicate records Backing up your library
What is an "EndNote library"
"Library" is the term used in EndNote to describe a file in which where you store a database of references. A library can contain up to 100,000 references.
All references should be kept in the one library, and grouped to reflect any particular subject interest. We strongly recommend that you maintain one library only.
Setting up a default library
The default library will open automatically when you open EndNote.
There are icons at the top of the library window.
Positioning your mouse over the buttons on the toolbar displays the name of the button.
These commands can also be accessed from the menu bar at the top of the screen.
There are three modes of operation for EndNote.
The first icon is for working in Local Library mode. This is the recommended mode at UNE.
The second icon (Online Search) is for searching outside databases from within EndNote so you can download references directly into your EndNote library. This is not recommended as it does not work for many of the UNE databases.
The third icon is the Integrated Library & Online Search Mode. Using this mode will import references directly into your local library.
EndNote can be opened from the applications folder.
Opening your EndNote library:
1. My EndNote Library.enl will be saved in your Documents folder. Double click the file to open EndNote and the library.
2. Open EndNote from the Applications folder, then go to File > Open Library, and locate My EndNote Library (or the name that you have saved).
3. Use the Finder. Go to Finder > File > Find, then search .enl. This is the file extension for an EndNote library. Double-click the file to open EndNote and the library.
Creating a new library
From the menu select File, New.
You will see a dialogue box like this, with My EndNote Library as the name of the new library:
New Library Dialogue Box
- Select the folder where you wish to save the library.
- In the File name box, type a name for your library.
- Click on Save. You should see a new library window, like this:
EndNote library layout
The left pane is where groups appear - use this to help organise your references.
The second pane is the list of references.
The third pane is split. The top pane allows you to edit any of the fields of the reference. The bottom pane displays a preview of how the reference will appear according to the reference style you have selected.
The fourth pane displays an attached PDF.
The layout of the EndNote can be changed by clicking on the layout button at the top right of the screen