Creating an EndNote Library
Adding references manually
Using Library Search
Direct export from databases
Importing with a filter
Exporting from Google Scholar
Finding Full text
Checking for duplicate records Backing up your library
The Terms List allow you to enter the Journal name (or author or keywords) into the Reference Template as the full title e.g. Journal of Cell Science. When you insert the citation into the Word document the journal title will then show as the abbreviation: J. Cell Sci.
Some referencing styles require journal titles to be abbreviated according to a standardised list of title abbreviations. For example, the Vancouver style of referencing requires journal titles to be abbreviated according to the style used in Index Medicus.
These abbreviations are contained in the Medical Journals term list supplied with your EndNote software, and located in Applications\EndNote X7\Terms.
Using the Medical Journal list as an example:
If you will be importing the list into an EndNote library which already contains references, you will need to first delete the existing terms in the journals term list of your library. To do this:
- Open your EndNote library.
- Click on Tools on the menu bar and choose Open Term Lists and then choose Journals Terms List.
- Click anywhere in the window where the journal titles are displayed.
- Press Command+A to select all terms.
- Click on the Delete Term button to delete all terms.
- Close the Term Lists dialogue box.
To import the Medical Journals term list:
- From the Tools menu, click Define Term Lists…
- Highlight Journals, then click Import List.
Importing Journal Terms List
- Select Medical from the Term Lists folder (located in Applications\EndNote X7\Terms).
- Click Choose.
- The following message will display: "xxxx terms inserted into the Journals term list".
- Click OK.
- Close the Term Lists window.