Creating an EndNote Library
Adding references manually
Using Library Search
Direct export from databases
Importing with a filter
Exporting from Google Scholar
Finding Full text
Checking for duplicate records Backing up your library
Sync EndNote with EndNote Basic
EndNote allows you to synchronise the references in your EndNote library with the references in your EndNote Online library.
- EndNote is the Desktop version of EndNote
- EndNote Online is the Web version of EndNote that Syncs with the Desktop version
- EndNote Basic is the stand-alone web version (for non-desktop users)
The Sync process automatically synchronises both sets of references and groups so that an exact match exists in both EndNote and EndNote Online. You can add and edit references in either EndNote or EndNote Online and the changes will be reflected in the other after the sync process. This includes associated data and attachments.
The Sync process is always initiated from EndNote. To set up automatic syncing go to: EndNote X7 > Preferences > Sync
If you do not already have an EndNote Online account, click on Enable Sync.
If you already have an EndNote Online account, enter the associated email address and password in the fields provided. Ensure that the correct library is selected in the Sync this EndNote Library field.
Select Sync Automatically to sync automatically when EndNote is opened (and every 15 minutes).
You may choose to only sync manually. The manual sync icon is accessed from the top left of the EndNote window.
EndNote Online will automatically sync to the specified EndNote library each time it is opened.
Important points in the Sync process
- Sync works with only one library and one EndNote Basic account.
- Always logout after using public computers, otherwise other users may alter your library.
- Sync includes groups and group associations but does not currently include group sets or smart groups.
- Where a group set cannot be identified the sync process will place the group in an Unfiled Groups set. Drag and drop the group to the appropriate group in the desktop library.
- You cannot synchronise an EndNote library with your EndNote Basic library when you are in Online Only mode.
Sync iPad App
The EndNote iPad App can also be synced with your EndNote Basic library (and therefore your EndNote desktop version too).
Use your EndNote Basic credentials to log in to the iPad App. Each time you open the app it will sync with your Endnote Basic library.
The EndNote iPad App does not automatically download PDF attachments. PDFs can be downloaded on an individual basis.